Saturday, May 17, 2014

Tutorial: Superhero/Villian Mask with Worbla


For my first tutorial I wanted to do something relatively simple yet incredibly useful which, of course means, "super mask"!!

Materials:
-Worbla (I purchase mine from Yaya Han at http://yayahan.bigcartel.com/)
-Hair dryer with high heat setting or heat gun
-Primer
-Spray paint
-Super glossy top-coat spray
-pencil/paper/scissors

1. The first thing you're going to want to do is create a pattern for your mask. I like to pull up some reference images and true to sketch out one side of the mask until it looks about right. Next I fold the paper over and cut it out so that you have a paper mask with 2 identical sides. This next bit is the part where I stick it on my face and snip away minor adjustments (this step is optional).

Recycling my old homework
2. After you have created an adequate pattern for your mask, you're going to carefully trace it onto your sheet of Worbla. Next, cut out your new super hero face gear with standard scissors or an exacto knife if you're feeling spunky.  I used a razor blade to make a hole in each eye area into which I could insert my scissors for cutting/trimming.

Ta-da!
3. This next step is a little tricky and involves a slight bit of finesse (and heat tolerance). Simply lay out the Worbla on a flat heat-resistant surface and hit it with your dryer or heat gun. You will notice the Worbla change colors slightly to an even murkier brown and the material will noticeably soften. Next you will pick up the limp scrap of plastic and stick it directly on your face (smooth side out).
WARNING: The plastic will be toasty! If you feel it is too hot in your hands, then by no means, stick it on your face! Usually for me it takes a couple tries to apply the mask and get all the contours just right. Luckily, Worbla can be re-melted so you can target detailed areas and reapply the formed surface for shaping. There aren't any pictures of this step as my hands were busy prodding plastic around my eye-holes.
Version 2.0 vs 1.0
Primed and ready
4. Leave the mask on your face for about 1 minute or until completely cooled. After removing the mask and cooling completely, you are going to want to apply a coat of primer to assist in paint adherence. Leave in a SAFE place to dry. If, however, you choose to do this in your windy backyard and own a Corgi puppy, be sure you are aware of the consequences of such a careless action. (see following photo)
The dog ate it :(
5. If you, like me, found that your dog had eaten your first mask, simply start again at step 1. If you were fortunate enough to leave your crafts drying out of harms way then next you'll want to hit the mask with the first coat of spray paint. I use any standard finish spray paint since, lastly, we will go over it with a high gloss top-coat. Alternatively, you can finish with a matte or even a satin top coat depending on your needs.
Matte black spray paint
Wet-look gloss finish
6. Lastly, you'll want to decide on what form of attachment best fits your needs. In some cases a wig or hair will cover the sides should you choose the elastic band method. If you are looking for a seamless option, I would recommend spirit gum or another skin adhesive.

<3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Cnidarium